3301 Exposition Blvd
Job Category: Cloud
Job Number: 19627
Senior Engineer, Cloud Database (MySQL, Aurora)
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of 6 years of experience working with MySQL, mariadb, percona databases and/or other databases.
- Minimum 2+ years of experience with AWS RDS (Aurora, DynamoDB and Redshift etc.)
- Should support/Administer i.e. manage, maintain and monitor Aurora databases in AWS and on-prem mysql databases.
- Perform 24x7 advanced tier troubleshooting, including off-hour maintenance and optimization activities, problem resolution, and on-call.
- Possess a working knowledge of database internals including locks, waits, transaction consistency, data integrity, recovery paths etc.
- Knowledge of containerization such as docker or kubernetes and EKS services would be a huge plus.
- Must have performed mysql/aurora (cloud) database upgrades and patching with minimum downtime (rolling upgrades/patches).
- Should have experience in migrating on-prem MySql databases to RDS using different methods like DMS, Replication etc.
- Should have worked directly with developers and engineers to review database models and design, indexes and queries.
- Perform database backups and recovery.
- Must know techniques of backing up tables, databases, utilities for backup and restoring them to a point-in-time or restore a master.
- Design and build Disaster Recovery strategies
- Should possess strong architecture knowledge and concept of infrastructure, storage, networking and databases.
- Should have reasonable understanding of network, security and access concepts on the cloud (AWS) such as VPC, security groups, NACL’ s, bastion servers etc.
- Should possess strong security concepts and data protection strategies including encryption and fine-grained access controls.
- Implement proper security and access controls and keep the databases patched for security vulnerabilities.
- Should have sufficient knowledge of hardware and software load balancers.
- Must be familiar with all replication technology: master-master, master-slave, circular etc.
- Must possess expert troubleshooting skills of cluster and other database wait events, concurrencies, bottlenecks etc.,
- Possess Experience and expert knowledge of configuring and monitoring, tuning and improving performance of database and slow queries.
- Work with applications (web or client-server) on infrastructure/systems with caching tiers that impact performance and availability.
- Design and model data structures and help identify slower SQL queries and then tune them.
- Evaluate and recommend hardware, versions of Linux and Database for new installs.
- Perform Capacity planning and evaluate database growth.
- Plan capacity, scale performance and make the databases highly available.