1241 W Mineral Ave # 200
Job Category: Electrical Engineer
Job Number: 19078
Our client is looking for a Sr. Firmware Engineer that will design new products and enhance/improve current products. Seek new and better technologies and methods to increase product reliability, add features and reduce sustaining engineering. Participate in putting new processes in place to improve productivity.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND BASIC DUTIES
- Architect, Design, Implement and Test, electronics and firmware on assigned projects.
- Participate in creating technical Product Requirements from Marketing requirements.
- Participate in creating Project Plans including Project Schedules. This includes estimating time required to implement various tasks associated with electronics and firmware development, establish milestones and meet those milestones.
- Effectively use company’ s Product Development Process and industry standard product development methodologies and design tools. For electronics and firmware this includes producing and maintaining analysis, Product Requirements Document, architecture, high-level design, detail design, schematics, circuit simulation, worst case tolerance analysis, node-by-node check-out, Net list checks, no component used outside Mfg.’ s recommendations, revision control, modular coding, code coverage testing, boundary testing, developer testing and product verification testing. Design reviews are conducted throughout the product development process. Participate in the continuous improvement of engineering practices and procedures.
- As an individual contributor, meet project objectives with innovation, creativity and good engineering practice. Design new, innovative products and enhancements/improvements to current products. Seek new and better technologies and methods to increase product performance, add features and reduce component and production costs. When appropriate initiate putting in additional hours to stay off assigned project’ s critical path.
- Utilize Rapid Prototype techniques to create mock-ups of products to be used by Marketing and Sales to validate market requirements.
- Provide marketing support, which includes providing technical evaluations and developing project development and product cost estimates for new product ideas.
- Provide Engineering support to Sales, Customer Service and Marketing.
- Provide support to Production, which includes making design changes to improve manufacturability and reduce product build costs as well as support the selection and qualifying vendors/suppliers. Also, participate in failure analysis/investigations to find the root-cause of production and field failures and, if appropriate, make design changes.
- Be familiar with domestic and international Regulatory Standards; FCC, UL, CE, IC, BSI, CENELEC, ETSI, etc. Support testing to these standards and getting certifications as appropriate. Be knowledgeable of the relevant standards and include them in Product Requirements Document.
- Continuously improve skills required; seeking training through seminars, literature, industry shows/workshops and relevant course work.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE ROLE
- Demonstrated experience developing battery-operated products containing cellular radio technologies (GSM, CDMA, etc.), GPS receivers, and antennas
- Demonstrated competence in C and assembly language programming.
- Demonstrated experience in writing real time operating systems.
- Demonstrated experience designing analog sensor circuits as well as digital circuits. Doing H/W simulations and worst-case tolerance analysis; Experience using PSpice a plus.
- Good understanding of RF and cellular standards, and demonstrated experience with cellular products certification (FCC, PTCRB, etc.) and passing those requirements.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully transferring products into Production and providing Production/Sustaining support throughout the product life cycle.
- Demonstrated success in designing robust products with no F/W or H/W issues identified in User Acceptance Testing or in the field.
- Proficiency in using various development environments as well as oscilloscopes, meters, SPI bus analyzer, packet sniffers, emulators, JTAG debugging interface, logic analyzer, function generator, etc.
- Experienced in the application of embedded microcontrollers in radio products. MSP430 and ARM7 microcontroller experience and IAR, KEIL development environment a plus.
- Familiarity with low power/battery operated design principles.
- Work experience in ISO 9001 Certified companies.
- Medical product development a plus.
EDUCATION: BSEE. or Computer Science
EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: 10+ years of Design Engineering, cellular and GPS technology