6309 Carpinteria Ave
Job Category: Ruby on Rails
Job Number: 19184
Software Engineer (Ruby on Rails) Job Overview
Our client’ s development team works on the entire tech stack (from low-level database operations to front-end development) for a large cloud-based enterprise application for the construction industry. Engineers work with all of their departments from sales, account management, support and product; with a strong emphasis on the ability to speak with clients to understand user needs. Their tools of choice are Ruby/Rails/Postgres on AWS. Their mobile apps provide access to many of the company’ s tools on iOS, Android, and Windows.
This position is based at the clients’ headquarters in Carpinteria, CA on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. We’ re looking for someone to join their team immediately.
What you' ll do:
- Translate UX designs into fully functional applications
- Develop & deliver products in a timely manner
- Make architectural design decisions that improve scalability & performance
- Build products that meet the customer’ s needs
- Exercise code reviews & provide constructive feedback
- Effectively collaborate with Product, QA, UX, and other internal groups (both technical and non-technical)
What we' re looking for:
- Knowledge of Rails - 2+ years in a professional environment
- Experienced in Agile development
- Experience or education in building apps with Test Driven Development (TDD) and RSpec
- Knowledgeable in SQL (PostgreSQL) and query optimization
- Familiarity with Linux, AWS (EC2, S3, etc.)
- Experienced in working with and developing RESTful APIs
- Experienced in working with asynchronous requests in large-scale applications
- Collaboration/contributions with the open source community
To give you a better idea of what we do, here are some of our client’ s current projects:
- Live Finance: Our challenges are a unique opportunity to work on accounting principles but with a twist! Our financials team works on budget reconciliation on live projects with budget input happening in real time all day long. If you are interested in challenges surrounding balance and ledgers, without the bureaucracy that comes with financial institutions, this is the perfect role for you.
- Scalability: If scalability is of interest to you, we have the ultimate challenge. We are looking at taking an existing system and scaling from 2M users to 10M users. We know Ruby and Rails can scale and we want to prove that and work with engineers who are ready to take on that challenge. This is a great chance to work on live, core systems with a million users.
- Big Data: Our client’ s insight team is focused on building an entire dashboarding system and working with terabytes of data and users that go back over 10 years. If areas like big data mining, business intelligence and data visualizations are of interest to you, this is a great opportunity to work on those problems while seeing your work come to life and interfacing with customers.
- Complex file systems: We are working on building a world-class document and photo file management system from the ground up. If you are interested in challenges like: pdf creation, photo management, permissions and file revisioning, this is the perfect team for you. You will get to work on the complexities that come with disassembling giant blueprint pdf’ s, adding markups and call outs and writing it back so everything is unchanged.