200 Racetrack Rd bldg 26 Washington, PA 15301 US
Job Title: Chief Architect
Position Type: Full Time
Compensation: $200K to $250K
The Chief Architect plays a pivotal role as the strategic and hands-on technical leader, fostering collaboration across the organization. They work closely with internal and external stakeholders and lead the Development department to ensure exceptional project execution and new product development. This role involves executing the business vision within a SaaS and cloud-based platform environment and setting the architecture strategy for the organization. The Chief Architect is responsible for defining, maintaining, and supporting software solutions architecture, while enhancing the methodology for designing, developing, testing, and releasing products and features. As a critical leader, they ensure the capabilities, performance, and security of the platform. Serving as the subject matter expert, the Chief Architect plays a key role in planning and prioritization meetings, significantly influencing the technical direction of each sprint and development cycle. They drive the strategic direction of development, represent the technical aspects of the business, and ensure that technology aligns with the business's strategic initiatives.
Background of Business
Our direct client is a fully integrated racing and gaming technology company offering solutions for global pari-mutuel and fixed-odds wagering. They are a leading technology and services provider in the North American pari-mutuel wagering market. Services include a comprehensive and user-friendly wagering website/platform for the horse racing industry, allowing customers to wager from various devices. The organization is committed to the growth and success of the global racing industry through innovation in B2C and B2B products, extensive professional services offerings, and the broadest integration of hosts for commingled pari-mutuel and fixed odds. The Chief Architect is expected to demonstrate competencies in areas such as active listening, agile concepts, analytical skills, business acumen, communication proficiency, continuous improvement, creativity, critical thinking, decision-making, ethical practice, flexibility, innovation, organizational skills, personal effectiveness, credibility, planning and execution, problem solving, analysis, results-driven approach, support for strategic thinking, tactical knowledge, technology skills, time management, and teamwork orientation.
- Lead the development and implementation of architectural strategies for technology projects to ensure alignment with business objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams, including product management, engineering, and other technical areas, to deliver high-quality, scalable, and innovative solutions.
- Evaluate and select appropriate technologies, frameworks, and platforms to meet project objectives and organizational goals.
- Structure, build, and manage complex products in a high-tech SaaS and cloud-based infrastructure.
- Define software development lifecycle standards and communicate data-driven analyses, analytical design, and data methodologies to various audiences.
- Foster a culture of innovation and continuous improvement in development processes, setting well-defined KPIs related to automation, cost engineering, and data quality metrics.
- Develop a strategic vision and technology roadmap to meet business needs, diversify the business, and manage associated risks while ensuring deadlines and quality standards are met.
- Create processes to help scale products, platforms, and teams for growth.
- Lead and participate in teams within an Agile delivery model, balancing people management, leadership, and technical responsibilities.
- Provide hands-on, expert-level technical assistance to full-stack developers and engineers, leveraging strong problem-solving skills and open-source frameworks for designing solutions in a production setting.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams for API integrations.
- Drive organizational decisions with a systems perspective, considering trade-offs, prioritization, and technology advancements.
- Engage across the business to understand what drives development, marketing, operations, finance, and risk objectives.
- Lead and manage with a coaching approach and enable strong development teams, while also engaging directly when urgency arises or teams encounter obstacles.
- Bring thought leadership and best practices to the company and integration based on what is currently working, areas for improvement, and transformation opportunities.
- Ability to work autonomously, forecasting architectural needs and recommending solutions ahead of core development teams.
- Provide support for existing legacy infrastructure and create roadmaps for future development.
- Assist with the identification, evaluation, and design of new technologies and stay current with industry trends.
- Ensure knowledge sharing of software development best practices in design, code, quality, and processes across departments/teams, and develop and monitor technical standards for adherence.
- May perform other job-related functions.
Responsibilities/Duties – Supervisory
- This position has supervisory/management responsibilities for a large development department within the United States and an internationally based team.
- Lead and/or participate in recruitment, employee engagement, training, and retention of team members through thoughtful leadership and collaborative team building to meet market demands and drive performance.
Experience & Education
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or a related field.
- Minimum of ten years of experience delivering complex SaaS product solutions in a technical and cloud-based capacity.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in a leadership role.
- Extensive knowledge of development/engineering principles and procedures.
- Ability to seamlessly transition between the strategic and the tactical, developing visions, strategic plans, product roadmaps, as well as tactical priorities, processes, procedures, and issue resolution.
- Strong accountability and overall technology leadership/hands-on experience.
- Experience with Agile methodology.
- Experience in architecting quality solutions that scale to customer needs.
- Direct hands-on experience with various tools and technologies, including but not limited to CircleCI, Docker, Expect, Firestore, Firebase, Git, Golang, Google, Grafana, gRPC/Protobuf, Helm, Istio, Jest, JIRA, Kubernetes, Microservices, Mocha/Chai, NodeJS (troubleshooting/debugging), OAS (Swagger/OpenAPI), Prometheus, ReactJS, Terraform, TypeScript, and Yarn workspaces.
- Previous senior leadership roles in product or applicable development, including the ability to code in the tech stack.
- Proficiency in technical troubleshooting, anticipating and preventing problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Understanding of complex enterprise-level software systems, with the ability to understand and articulate the design and architecture of the entire system.
- Ability to lead and assist with the identification, evaluation, and design of new technologies and stay updated on trends.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate team members toward the achievement of the company's strategic vision.
- Strong project management and time management skills.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, analytical, and critical problem-solving skills.
- Ability to develop and deliver presentations that resonate with an audience, comfortable working in a tech-driven environment and coordinating across multiple stakeholder groups.
- Experience with both Waterfall and Agile methodologies of project management and software development.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines with a strong sense of accountability, thriving in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong, resilient, results-driven, and self-directed individual with a personal commitment to excellence.
- Ability to mentor, coach, develop, and lead team members in a dynamic environment to build the required capabilities and attract/retain top talent.
- Ability to promote a creative and innovative work environment where leaders and employees are empowered, and ideas are encouraged.
- Preferred Experience and/or Education: MBA; Knowledge of horse racing, pari-mutuel wagering, gaming, sports wagering, and/or social marketplace industries.
Work Environment: Duties are primarily performed within a typical, professional office environment, which may require long work hours and sporadic weekend work.
Physical Demands: This role involves standard office activities, such as talking, hearing, standing, walking, using hands, and reaching with hands/arms.
Risk Assessment: The work environment poses typical office-related risks, such as sitting or standing for extended periods, eye strain, and repetitive hand motions. Employees are expected to practice proper posture, reduce wrist pressure during prolonged periods, and incorporate standing, stretching, or walking into their workday.
Expected Hours of Work: The expected hours of work vary based on FLSA/Position Type status and the amount of time required to accomplish goals and deliverables associated with the position, which may occasionally exceed a standard forty-hour workweek.
Travel: Travel may be required, accounting for a minimum of 25%, including travel outside the local area and the potential for international travel.
Work Authorization/Security Clearance: The candidate may be required to obtain applicable industry licenses for multiple jurisdictions. The company will facilitate the application and payment processes during the first week of employment.
AAP/EEO Statement: The company provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment, prohibiting discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Other Duties: Please note that this position/job description is not designed to cover a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Base Work Location: The position can be based in the Hunt Valley, MD, or Washington, PA office locations, and the position classification is "Remote Work."