Our client is looking for a The Director, Software Engineering Mobile & Connected Devices (Salaried, full-time, regular) has overall responsibility for the customer facing product and day-to-day production of that product, ensuring that software components are delivered on time, within budget and meeting quality specifications set out by the business. The role involves planning, organizing, resourcing and managing a team of varying sizes (5 to 10 individuals) in collaboration with Technical Project Managers, Product managers and technical leads
The Software Development Director will be the main point of contact for allocating tech resource and working with the delivery and product teams to prioritize and deliver a defect free consumer offering on time.
· The primary function of the Software Development Director is to ensure that software development is and remains under control and on track at all times.
· Working with key stakeholders to deliver a high- quality product on time and to budget.
· Undertaking, planning, organizing and resourcing the product.
· Ability to seek out and assimilate information, building plans, understanding impediments and identifying solutions, actioning & flagging them accordingly.
· Development and on-going monitoring of the organization, execution and control of all project activities both with internal and (potentially) external development teams.
· Maintain effective communications with team members, key stakeholders, senior management throughout the duration of the project, in addition to managing the team leads of sub-areas of the project.
· Develop and clearly communicate project goals and expectations to the team leads and team through frequent performance and progress feedback meetings.
· Ensure the team follows as directed by assigning work and ensuring clear communication of deadlines to team leads, and that all staff understand the task (what’ s to be achieved), leaving no ambiguity.
· Follow up with team leads on a regular basis monitoring progress and performance.
· Assimilate information to enable key decision-making and information dissemination to the team.
· Whilst the responsibility of project schedule lies with TPM’ s, it is the Development Managers responsibility to ensure that the schedule of the project/s that they are assigned to, deliver and if there are potential changes, risks or impacts that these are communicated in a timely manner.
· Compile short, concise and accurate weekly project reports for senior management
· Create and prepare Milestone documents. Coordinate and submit regular milestone deliverables to senior management and where applicable externals via TPM’ s.
· Be able to assess the ‘ cost and impact’ when changes to the plan are made and act accordingly (in collaboration with TPM’ s)
· Effectively track the project and at any time be prepared to report on project/s status to senior management, and ensuring proactive, timely reporting if not on target.
· Working with any external partners to ensure timely delivery of assets / source code, and that the quality expectations are being met at all times with relevant steer being given as appropriate.
· Ensure version control is in place and used for all code development and that code is NEVER lost or stolen.
This position will include supervising one or more employees where applicable. Supervisory responsibilities include but are not limited to:
· The Development Director is responsible for the effective day-to-day running of the team and maintaining a team mentality of high-performance.
· Practice team development through effective open communication, reinforcing the professional growth of the team members, and establishing clearly defined goals and program objectives.
· Responsible for the productivity and organization of entire team, including their physical and psychological well-being.
· Manage interpersonal conflict effectively using tact and diplomacy.
· Ensure that new team members (both new employees and project transfers) are made welcome and are successfully integrated into the team.
· Extensive, practical project management experience, managing budgets and spending with experience of controlling development costs, whilst ensuring quality is achieved and deadlines hit.
· Exceptional leadership in project management, evangelizer, and enforcer of the standards and guidelines of our Development Process. ( industry best practice)
· Excellent technical awareness and skills, including competent working knowledge of IOS/Android/Web and Connected device technologies. Recent hands on development experience is an advantage.
· An understand of the key principles of Agile and/or Lead development and how to tailor these practices for OTT app development i.e. product backlogs, Scrum, FDD, TDD, BDD, Value Stream Mapping, Root Cause Analysis.
· Has held responsibility in the delivery of quality titles / projects over varied duration production cycles.
· Has managed varied size & cross disciplinary development teams.
· A good knowledge and interest in OTT apps.
· Knowledge of technical restrictions and specifications for web, mobile and TV platforms.
· Experience of working with multiple stakeholders (internal and external) with different goals, objectives and aspirations.