Systems Engineer III (local or remote options)
10801 Walker Street , Suite 250 Cypress, CA 90630 US
The Systems Engineer III – OpenVMS is responsible for administration, monitoring, and supporting all aspects of the OpenVMS infrastructure, including HPE Integrity and related hardware, server resources, systems, and key processes. The Systems Engineer III – OpenVMS Technologies will identify and proactively respond to medium to high complexity system problems. The Systems Engineer III – OpenVMS will troubleshoot and correct complex, sometimes ambiguous problems that affect operation of the environment. In addition, the Systems Engineer III – OpenVMS will analyze current processes and procedures for possible improvements, as well as develop and maintain documentation of their assigned environment.
Systems Engineering - Architects, implements, and supports infrastructure and technologies.
- Assist the team with deployment, operations, and maintenance of infrastructure technologies.
- Review existing technologies for vendor support and end-of-life information.
- Contribute to design, implementation, integration, and testing of infrastructure technologies.
- Contribute to system design and architectures.
- Support the deployment, operations, and maintenance of infrastructure technologies.
- Contribute to identifying migration path needs.
- Participate in recommending solutions of varying complexities and create strategies that consider all aspects of the customer's requirements and problem.
- Takes initiative in resolving problems that are ambiguous.
- Assist the team with investigating, testing, making recommendations, and implementing solutions.
- Assist the team in framing the essence of the customer’s issue and builds scalable and adaptable solutions, while considering the larger stakeholder community.
- Present unbiased positions to customers and explain ideas in understandable terms.
- Prior to commitment to change, work with the team to consider impact and address any issues.
Technical Support - Ability to understand internal/external customer technologies and problem resolution techniques.
- Apply knowledge of DCL Scripting, Command procedures, iLO Management, other OpenVMS and HPE tools.
- Automate critical tasks, such as installation and patching, at an enterprise level.
- Demonstrate expertise in OpenVMS environments, including complex task sequences and in-place upgrades.
- Perform patch auditing and remediation.
- Assist in the resolution of medium to high complexity issues affecting OpenVMS technologies, TCPIP, DECnet, Batch, Printing, Backup and Recovery, Fiber Attached Storage, etc.
- Administer, monitor, and support all aspects of an OpenVMS-based infrastructure environment with integrations to other platforms (Windows, external Databases, etc.).
- Apply knowledge to identify and proactively respond to high complexity system problems.
- Demonstrate knowledge of routine techniques, skills, equipment, and procedures.
- Work to develop additional technical knowledge and skills.
- Perform system maintenance activities.
- Develop and maintain documentation of the assigned environment.
- Anticipate problems; see how a problem and its solution will affect other areas.
- Analyze current processes and procedures for possible improvements.
- Evaluate new technology as potential solutions to existing problems.
- Identify opportunities for more efficient and effective operations through the implementation of automation and monitoring.
- Evaluate reported problems, determine issue severity, and collaborate with other IT departments to resolve the reported issue.
REQUIRED & PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent work experience in a related field required.
- 7+ years’ experience with OpenVMS technologies required within the following areas:
- Installation and Configuration of OpenVMS v8.4-2L1 in a Clustered environment.
- HPE Integrity Servers, including iLO Management.
- TCPIP, DECnet, FTP, SFTP, SSL, etc.
- OS Patch Management, including testing and installation.
- User Authorization.
- DCL Scripting and Command Procedures.
- Enterprise Printing.
- Scheduling and Maintaining Batch Queues.
- Monitoring and Tuning of the OpenVMS environment.
- Working in an enterprise multi-platformed infrastructure and interoperating with Windows and other platforms.
- Administration of a highly complex and dispersed environment.
- Setup and support for server deployment.
- Experience with Job Management – Scheduler a plus.
- Knowledge of Applications and Databases, such as Oracle, ERP, etc. preferred.
- Knowledge of Commvault Data Restoration and Backup a plus.
- Experience with Fiber Attached SAN Storage a plus.
- VMware and x86 experience with OpenVMS a plus.
- Must be self-motivated and able to work independently, with minimal supervision and as part of a team.
- Detail-oriented with excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Superior organization skills and multitasking abilities required.
- Anticipate problems and is proactive in addressing them.